What we know so far
- The shooting happened at around 10.30 a.m. local time (08.30 UTC) near a cafe in the Boulevard d’Avroy, located in the administrative district of the city.
- Two other officers were wounded.
- La Libre Belgique newspaper quoted a police source as saying the gunman shouted Allahu Akbar — God is greatest in Arabic.
- The shooter then fled to a nearby school where he took a woman hostage.
- Broadcaster RTBF said the gunman was later shot dead by police.
- The Belga news agency reported that the children from the school were quickly moved to a safe area.